Monday, May 17, 2010

Life is a Trial

When we started this blog it was to keep track of memories as the kids grew up. So far I have tried my best to keep it updated. I wanted this post to be something different.

More so than ever I am realizing how much of a trial life is. Silly to just realize that now I know, but it seems like this past year has really hit me hard. Travis always tells me that I let everything get to me, and thank goodness I have him around to keep me from going crazy! He is right.

Lately I feel like everything is going wrong. I feel like the kids are getting out of control with not listening, being mean to each other, being mean to Travis and I. I am getting completely worn out from working 8 hours a day and coming home to the messiest house and the most ornery kids, trying to get all I need done in the few hours that I have before bedtime (then waking up to see that I really didn't accomplish anything). Yelling at the kids constantly and then hating myself for not having the patience with them that I really wish I had. Travis' work is not consistent (but I am so excited that he loves what he is doing!!) A few other areas of life seem to be a hole that we can't get out of...no matter how hard we try!

Last week I got to spend some time down in New Mexico visiting my parents. My dad was looking for a quote by President Hinckley that used to hang in the MTC.

"Be believing, be happy, don't get discouraged. Things will work out"

I don't think he ever found the rest of it, but I am so thankful that he had me looking for it. I know that Heavenly Father wanted me to hear this, and to really ponder on what it was saying. While I was searching I found so many other quotes that really touched my heart, and ones I really needed to hear. I know that He was watching over me and sent my dad to help meet my need :)

I am so thankful that I have the gospel in my life. No matter how hard life seems, there is comfort in knowing that I have a loving Heavenly Father, who wants me to succeed and grow. I am so grateful for parents who listen and are patient with my shortcomings. I am so grateful to have a husband who loves me and our children.

I am going to bed now, and look forward to a brand new day, with brand new trials. I pray that I can endure them well, and be a better person/wife/mother because of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristin, thank you for sharing! Thank goodness for the true gospel. I am so grateful to know that life is not just 'life' but part of a bigger plan.
You are an amazing person. You juggle all of your responsibilities so well. On top of all you do for your family, you are always serving those around you. I have been thinking about you a lot and the way you serve others without giving it a second thought. I want to be more like you!
The temple is a place that really helps me feel stronger and more peaceful. May I watch your kids so you can go? I would really like that.
I would also be happy to take them so you can go have 'Kristin' time or 'Kristin and Travis' time or both. :)
I admire you.
Thank you for sharing your testimony.

The Stanford Bunch said...

I hear ya!!! Life is definitely not easy and it always seems like there is something wrong and sometimes nothing right. It's good to take time and realize how blessed we are. The gospel and family are always what I can be thankful for no matter what. Things could be a lot worse. Somedays I feel like I have the worst kids in the world and I blame myself. You are doing awesome! Thank you for sharing this, that quote is great, I need to put that on my mirrow! I love you!

Rob & Tiffanie said...

I have the quote "life is to be enjoyed, not just endured" on my wall. Life is always going to give us trials. We all have them although it seems like we are the only ones. I noticed the kids getting cranky with each other a lot more and it made me wonder what I was doing wrong. We set up nice jars that really helped. Cheyenne didn't do it, but the other kids needed to woek on being nice to her. The beginning of the day we started out with 10 jelly beans and when they were saying or doing mean things they lost a jelly bean in the "sad cup" and when I noticed them doing nice things they added a jelly bean to their cup. It helped them the remember to be polite and kind and helped me to look for the positive things they were doing.

Jana said...

You are so sweet! Life is super hard! Especially when you're trying so hard to make it so good, and it somehow doesn't turn out the way you want it. I'm with you, thanks for the post!